Week 8 A

 Based on the feedback I received from my peers, I have created  more defined sketches to further illustrate my ideas. Included here is the feedback I received and my new concept sketches. From the feedback I received I was told that my Frankenstein illustration, the Halloween snow globe illustration, the Scarecrow grabbing kids, and the ghoul falling from the tree sketch were the most effective. I have decided to go further with the Frankenstein and the Halloween snow globe idea as they are my personal favorites. I made some changes with Frankenstein based on the feedback. I incorporated the face mask with his accurate face instead of a plain mask. I am still not sure if I should include the face or just to have the traditional stark blue mask. My goal is to illustrate this in the style of a political cartoon, which means it should be satirical. I am not sure if the sign is satirical enough or if I should keep playing around with that part. My next favorite idea is the Halloween snow globe. This concept focuses on the creepiness of Halloween and has a creepy ghoul like figure hovering behind a snow globe with a handful of past trick or treaters. I was told that I can incorporate cool color effects for the globe and the spirits or ghosts which is why this piece grabbed my attention. For this one I sketched out a different layout, but kept the same concept for it. This one has a skeleton hand holding out a "soul ball" that will have more "soul" effects surrounding it giving off a creepy look to it.  Overall I am leaning more towards the Frankenstein illustration because I want to keep practicing my cartoon drawing style. 

Delanie Dugan

Hi Tim,
I think you have some good starting ideas. I find the disappointed Frankenstein to be a fun and creative idea related to the article. Even though it's kind of direct and doesn't offer much of a scene as your other sketches, I think a green monster mixed amongst a news paper filled with articles could be really eye catching. Maybe to combine your last sketch with the one Frankenstein you could put that scary monster mouth on his mask as he holds up the sign.

Joel Fagans 

Hey Tim,
I honestly find the first image the most fascinating one out of all ten sketches to me. I do enjoy see the expression coming from the child's face as the man on the tree wanted to terrify the kids. Because we're taking about COVID/pandemic from that article, maybe think about adding the mask in both faces. I know this had to to take place somewhere around the forest at night, so why not add more trees to the background.

Rebecca Drayer

I think out of all your thumbnails the scarecrow grabbing kids was the most interesting. I really think that the bored expression on his face was funny. I also really like the snow globe one! I think you could do something really interesting with the color palettes and lighting. When reading the article, although it does mention COVID in it as one of the reasons why the author can't scare children, it wasn't really the focus of the article. It was mostly about how he wants to celebrate Halloween but is foiled time and time again.







         

Comments

  1. Hi Tim,
    I think you made some good adjustments to your ideas. I’m also leaning towards the Frankenstein as well. I know before I said about adding a face to the mask, but I think just the classic blue one would be more effective. I also saw you changed what the sign says (which I do think works much better than the other one). With having the blue mask and the sign, the “is this supposed to care kids” could connect to the covering of of the monster and to the article of struggling to celebrate Halloween during a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim,
    For this round of sketches I think that the Frankenstein and Skeleton Hand are the strongest. I think you can have some fun experimenting with different types of hand lettering especially in Frankenstein's sign and the text around the hand. I agree with Delanie that the Frankenstein wearing the mask gives the illustration more of a connection with the article. Do you know what kind of color palettes you want go with moving forward? I feel like your illustration could benefit if you went for a more lineless approach.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 B

Week 10 A

Week 9 B